Tuesday 16 July 2013

ST. ANNE'S HIGH SCHOOL - ORLEM: STUDENTS' VALUE ORIENTATION PROGRAM

ST. ANNE'S HIGH SCHOOL - ORLEM: STUDENTS' VALUE ORIENTATION PROGRAM
July 16, 2013: For the second consecutive day, the AVEC resource team visited St. Anne's High School - Orlem, Malad to conduct a Value Orientation program for the students of Standard IX & X. Over six hundred and fifty students too part in the two sessions of "Living your Life, Guided by a Value Compass". The school principal, Ms. Annie Braganza, welcomed the guest speakers, Fr. Glenford Lowe and Mr. Rochwyn Fernandes to the school. 
The sessions began with a short prayer Song, 'Sarveshaam, Swastir Bhavatu', that set a spiritual tone to the whole program. The prayer song invoked God's choicest blessings on one and all - blessings of Peace, love, health, prosperity and auspiciousness. Mr. Rochwyn Fernandes then introduced the AVEC activities and Fr. Glenford to them. He also spoke to them of his very noble act in donating his kidney to another fellow Salesian priest.
Fr. Glenn began the session inviting the students, right from the start, to be open to the challenges being put by him in order to start living their lives 'Guided by a Value compass'. The students were really attentive all through, in spite of the fact, that each sessions was about two hours. With the help of a lot of daily life situations, and models like Ms. Kia Scherr, Ryan Hreljac, Ms. Malala Yousafzai, he challenged the students to start making a difference. "Get M.A.D" was his constant invitation... Make A Difference and leave this world a better place. 
Presenting Twelve Golden Value Points for daily Living, he stressed on three important factors: Having the courage to share your story - even your sad ones - to some significant other, Remembering that exams are only a small comma in the sentence of life and finally, Solving material problems with spiritual solutions! He made the students aware of the importance of moving from asking mere survival questions to more meaningful questions. He also asked the students to remember that 'excuse is not a value'.
The students were then asked to focus on the Twelve Diamond Values that are necessary for a reconstruction of their Value Compass. "Velocity in life is not important, it's direction in life that really matters ", he said. He also stressed on the need to focus on: building a 'Winner Attitude' in life; Growing into Teams that Synergize their efforts; Being more Communicative, Confident and Creative; Understanding the need for Motivation, Multi Tasking and being Accountable and open to Corrections; and finally Living a Balanced Life and a Life of Abundance.
The time really past quickly.. the students were looking forward to more.... the vote of thanks was given by Ms. Jean Fernandes for standard nine, while the school head-boy Alex spoke on behalf of standard ten. school captain
At the end of the session, a number of students came forward to write their comments in the AVEC log book: but sorry, many of them have not written their names!
"I was inspired by him so much hat I've decided to change myself and be M.A.D" - 
"I have learnt how to control my Value Compass" 
"Had a great session with Fr. Glenn and I will surely become M.A.D"
 "I have been encouraged and my friends too, with this Value session conducted by Fr. Glenn and Mr. Fernandes. I have decided to change my words and change my world"
"The session was very good. Fr. Glenn inspired us very much. he changed my opinion towards life and the way to live it"
"Fr. Glenn you have changed my mind..I should not smoke"
 "Fr. Glenn, I am very encouraged by your lovely presentation and I will never forget you for the rest of my life"
"Father, looking at this session, I have understood to give a helping hand. I understood the meaning of M.A.D, and I am gonna change. Thank you" Std X
"An awesome experience. Thank you Fr. Glenn for spending your precious time with us"
 "Fr. Glenn, your session was very good and we got to learn the meaning of M.A.D. Thank you very much" - Suvin - X
"Fr. Glenn, the session was very interesting. I have learnt many good values form you. It was awesome" - Agnel - X
 "I actually learnt something today that I will use for all my life. Thank you and Keep up the good work"
"Thanks Fr, for showing me the path to work"
 "The session was really very interesting and effective for us as a student. Father was really very good and made the session really very lively" -  Firoz Maniar - X
"It was very good" - Sheldon,  X
 "I have never enjoyed any session as much as I enjoyed today. Thank you Fr. Glenn and Mr. Fernandes" - Ms. Adele Arianne Alburquerque, X
 "A fulfilling session, helped understand life better" - Bosco, X


Congratulations to all the students and I pray God's blessings on each one of you, as you prepare yourselves to live life by a Value Compass.